Did you know you could receive a scholarship for just being left-handed? About 10% of America’s population are left-handed and are called Southpaws and about 13% of people at the age of 20 fall into this category.
Are you seeking financial aid? With the incipient rise of the population of Southpaws, society has become more accepting of these individuals and scholarships have been created specifically for them. Are you one of the Southpaws?
This article provides you with five of the most beneficial scholarships for the left-handed individuals just like you.
OVERVIEW OF SCHOLARSHIPS FOR THE LEFT-HANDED 2024
With the acknowledgment of left-handed individuals in society, there have been so many opportunities for them.
One of these opportunities is the creation of scholarships. Left-handed students seeking financial aid have been provided with a couple of beneficial scholarships to aid their academic process.
Currently, a small population of 10% of the general population in the United States makes up this body of individuals.
Consequently, the majority of these individuals have smooth access to these scholarships. Below are five of the scholarships for the left-handed in 2024.
5 SCHOLARSHIPS FOR THE LEFT-HANDED
1. THE FREDRICK AND MARY F. BECKLEY LEFT-HANDED SCHOLARSHIP
These scholarships for the left-handed are highly recommended for lefties as it awards funds ranging from one thousand dollars ($1,000) to five thousand dollars ($5,000).
This scholarship is specific to left-handed individuals who are at the time of the application for the scholarship enrolled at Juniata College which is in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania.
The scholarship was created in 1979 and has overtime aided over forty applicants in the achievement of academic excellence.
Juniors, Sophomores, and seniors of Huntingdon College are eligible for the application for this scholarship program. Annually, only two students from the university are awarded this scholarship.
Requirements and eligibility
- He/she must be enrolled in the Juniata college for a degree program.
- Applicants must be left-handed individuals.
- He or she must have obtained a Cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.3.
- He/ she must have completed his/her freshman year at the institution.
- Applicant must demonstrate strong leadership qualities, especially on campus.
- A document of applicants’ academic records is to be submitted alongside two reference letters and proof of financial need.
- Application is done via www.juniaa.edu
2. THE JAMES BEARD FOUNDATION NATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship was created specifically for left-handed individuals who are interested in achieving a career in culinary arts.
This scholarship is awarded to students who are attending an accredited or participating U.S. college to major in food science, hospitality management, culinary arts, agriculture, or any other like fields.
Out of the ten geographical regions in the nation, one student is chosen and awarded the scholarship funds of twenty thousand dollars ($20,000).
Selection of this individual is dependent largely on academic excellence, leadership qualities, participation in community service, and the applicant’s culinary goals.
The scholarship provides networking opportunities and makes students conspicuous to employers due to the prestigious nature of the scholarship.
This scholarship provides funds of twenty thousand dollars which covers the cost of fees, tuition, books, and other educational expenses.
- Applicants must be left-handed.
- They must be enrolled full-time in any participating college in the United States.
- He/she must have a rigid academic record.
- Applicants must demonstrate leadership and be committed to community service.
- He/she must be studying to major in food science, hospitality management, agriculture, culinary arts, and like fields of study.
- He/she must have a stipulated and vivid objective to achieve in the culinary world.
For more information and application, do visit their website https://www.jamesbeard.org/
READ MORE 2024 MOOLAHSPOT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
3. ANDREW MACRINA SCHOLARSHIP FUND
This scholarship is dedicated to left-handed individuals and is sponsored by the American Culinary Federation.
It is specifically for high school seniors who have been accepted and enrolled in an accredited institution to study culinary arts and pastry arts.
The scholarship awards funds of two thousand, five hundred dollars ($2,500) to applicants who have obtained a minimum CGPA of 2.5. certain criteria and requirements have to be met before applicants can be considered for this scholarship award.
These applicants must be individuals who are active in volunteer work and who desire to become apprentices of the American Culinary Federation.
Dedication to their work as an upcoming chef is necessary to be considered for this scholarship.
Applicants must also provide two recommendation letters. This scholarship opportunity is made possible with the support of the American Academy of Chefs (AAC).
Eligibility and requirements
Applicants must be left-handed.
They must show interest in volunteer work.
Applicants must have accumulated a GPA of at least 2.5.
They must plan and desire to become a registered apprentice of the American Culinary Federation.
Two recommendation letters are to be submitted.
Application for this scholarship ends on the 31st of October annually. For more information and application, visit their website https://www.acfchefs.org/
4. THE ENID HALL GRISWOLD MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship program is offered by the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) organization.
It is designed specifically for left-handed students who are interested in majoring in history, political science, history, or economics.
The scholarship awards five thousand dollars ($5,000) to two students, either juniors or seniors whom they deem worthy of the scholarship.
These students, however, must be citizens of the United States and they must be academically excellent.
Applicants must be students attending a four-year accredited institution in the United States.
The objective of this scholarship is to encourage and support lefthanded students who desire to attain a degree in political science, history, economics, or government.
This scholarship aids in covering tuition and other educational expenses.
Eligibility and eligibility
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States.
- They must demonstrate financial need.
- He/she must provide proof of academic excellence.
- He/she must be enrolled in a four-year accredited institution.
- Application for this scholarship will be open as of November 1, 2023. Application is done via www.dar.academicworks.com for more information, visit https://www.dar.org/
5. THE HEINEKEN USA PERFORMING ARTS SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship is administered by the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation and it awards three thousand dollars ($3,000) to left-handed students who desire to obtain a degree in drama, theatre, music, opera, or any other performing arts.
This scholarship is awarded to residents of the United States or legal residents of the country who are enrolled full-time in an accredited college and must be able to maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5.
This scholarship acknowledges the skills of left-handed in adapting to and portraying different roles, including that of the right-handed.
This scholarship is further specific to African American students and it aims to support them in the achievement of their various career goals.
Eligibility and requirements
- Applicants must be citizens or legal residents of the United States.
- They must be left-handed.
- They must be African-American students.
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need.
- He/she must enroll full-time in an accredited institution.
- Applicants must maintain a GPA of 2.5.
- He/she must desire to major in music, theatre, opera, or any other performing arts.
- NOTE: a brief video presentation is to be sent while applying for this scholarship.
The deadline for the application for this scholarship is April 2023. For application details and more information, visit the official website https://cbcfinc.academicorks.com/
With the recognition of left-handed individuals in the society came creation of more opportunities for them.
There are over twenty (20) scholarships in diverse fields in the United States today created for these individuals.
Are you a southpaw? There’s a scholarship suitable for you. With the current level of left-handed individuals, there is a place for you.