Do you know that there several institutions that offer international students fully funded scholarships to further their studies? In this blog post, we will be discussing the top 5 scholarship programs for international students in the UK.
With universities in the UK regularly appearing in global rankings, it’s no wonder international students are interested in studying there. However, the cost of attending university can be a significant barrier for many prospective students from overseas.
Universities in the United Kingdom offer a variety of scholarships to international students. These scholarships are meant to help cover the cost of higher education and ease the burden of financing it. Scholarships for international students in the UK may be regional, subject-specific, or general. The former two aim to reduce competition for admission by giving applicants from specific regions or subjects an edge in getting into that university.
The latter are general scholarships that anyone can apply for regardless of their background. There are various types of international student scholarships available at universities in the UK, including personal statement awards, essay competitions, and general awards based on academic performance and personal circumstances.
These scholarships are usually awarded based on academic merit and often have a limited number of awards available each year. There is often a specific set of eligibility criteria that you need to meet to be considered for these scholarships, which may include things like English language proficiency, your field of study, country of origin, and even particular universities you’ve applied to.
Read below to learn more about various international scholarships for studying in the UK.
TOP 5 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS IN THE UK
Chevening Scholarship Program
One of the leading scholarship programs for international students is the Chevening Scholarship program. It provides an opportunity for high-achieving graduates worldwide to study for a master’s in any of the listed fields and research areas at one of 25 participating universities in the UK.
Chevening scholarship award is offered to exceptional individuals and showcases the zeal to further their studies. It gives future leaders and people worldwide an opportunity to improve themselves, academically and professionally. The program also builds a network of intellectuals who learn about the UK culture and build a beneficial relationship with people there.
Chevening scholarship is an internationally recognized award program funded by the UK government which aims to create leaders from different parts of the world.
Chevening scholarship program provides a fully-funded master’s scholarship for students worldwide. The scholarship program will cover the cost of tuition, accommodation, free visas, an economy class flight, and stipends to take care of other expenses of selected candidates. The scholarship program will be awarded to 1500 students worldwide.
The Chevening scholarship program is a highly competitive one as it is open to students worldwide, so to be considered for the award, there are lists of criteria to meet up:
- Required Language: English
- Eligible countries: There are selected countries in which the Chevening scholarship program is open to. Before applying, make sure to check if your country is eligible.
- There is no age limit in being selected for the award.
- The applicants must be studying for a full-time master’s degree, not more or less than 12 months of study.
- The applicant must have graduated with a minimum of 2.1 bachelor’s degree.
- The applicant must have work experience not less than 2 years or 2800 hours.
- British citizens are not eligible unless they are applying from outside the country.
- Applicants with dual citizenship are not eligible.
- Only refugees whose countries are among the list of selected countries opened to the Chevening scholarship program can apply.
- Applicants who have already received a scholarship award from the UK government are not eligible.
Click HERE to Apply to the Chevening Scholarship Program
Gates Cambridge Scholarship
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship was established by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in October 2000. The Bill and Melinda foundation donated a sum of $210 million to Cambridge University. This donation made the scholarship program well known in the UK as it was the largest single donation ever made to Cambridge University and also any UK university.
The Gates scholarship program is established to build future leaders by training exceptional students in one of the best universities in Europe. Financial and non-financial aid is provided to the students in the Gates scholarship.
The award is offered annually to 80 international students with outstanding academic performance to continue their studies in any field of their choice. The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is a fully-funded award that covers the tuition, academic development, allowance, health insurance, family allowance, and other related expenses of the selected students till the completion of their studies.
To be considered for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship programs, there are criteria to meet up
- Applicants who are citizens of any other country except the United Kingdom are eligible.
- Applicant must have an outstanding academic performance
- Fluent in written and oral English
- Applicants must apply for full-time postgraduate studies at Cambridge University
- Applicants must state the reason for their choice of course
- Applicants must possess the spirit of leadership
- Must be ready to make a significant impact on the society
Click HERE to Apply to the Gates Cambridge Scholarship programs.
Imperial College London Scholarship 2022
Are you a brilliant student who just completed their master’s degree? Are you looking for a program to further your studies in one of the best universities in the United Kingdom? If yes, then the imperial College London scholarship program is for you. Imperial College London PhD scholarship is a fully-funded scholarship program for international students. The scholarship is awarded to exceptional students who want to further their studies at the Doctorate level.
The Imperial College London scholarship covers the selected candidates’ tuition and gives them monthly stipends to take care of some personal expenses.
The scholarship program is awarded to 50 students every year. The selected students are assigned to excellent supervisors who will guide and oversee their research projects in their chosen course.
The Imperial College scholarship is open to students worldwide. The program embraces the spirit of equity while selecting the candidates. Only the most qualified candidates who meet the eligibility criteria are awarded the scholarship, not minding their nationality or background.
Since the Imperial College scholarship is open to students worldwide and has a limited number of candidates to be selected for the award (50), the scholarship is a highly competitive one. So to stand a chance to be considered for the award, you must meet up with all the listed eligibility criteria below:
- There is no restriction on nationality and background; everyone can apply as long as they meet other criteria.
- Applicants, both international and national students, must have a first-class degree in their undergraduate studies or its equivalent.
- Candidates must also have a distinction in their master’s degree.
- Applicants must have contacted a supervisor in Imperial college who will oversee their project.
- Students currently enrolled in the Imperial College studying for their Doctorate degree are not eligible for the scholarship.
Click HERE to Apply to the Imperial College London Scholarship
GEMS International Undergraduate Scholarship 2022
GEMS – Global Education Management Systems International Undergraduate scholarship is a fully-funded scholarship for students who wish to further their education with a bachelor’s degree. The scholarship program sponsors students at the University of Stirling.
The program is established to support excellent students who intend to further their education. The GEMS international undergraduate scholarship covers the selected candidate’s tuition for the four years of their undergraduate studies.
- To be considered for the GEMS International Undergraduate Scholarship, there are certain criteria you must meet up:
- Students worldwide can apply.
- International students must apply as students from overseas for tuition fees purpose
- Applicants must apply for a full-time undergraduate course at the University of Stirling
- Applicants must have good academic results from their high school or secondary school
- Transcripts of the Secondary school-leaving exam must be provided
- Applicants that different scholarship programs have awarded are not eligible.
Click HERE to Apply to the GEMS International Undergraduate Scholarship
Bristol University Think Big Scholarship 2022
From the name, Bristol University Think Big Scholarship is set to help and train the best and brightest thinkers or minds at Bristol University. The scholarship program is available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
The selected candidates will get a tuition waiver for both degrees: Undergraduate and postgraduate. The scholarship program is awarded to students yearly. The Bristol University Think Big Scholarship covers the students’ tuition fees in any course of their choice except Medicine, Dentistry, and Veterinary Science.
To be considered for the Bristol University Think Big Scholarship, you have to meet up with the eligibility criteria listed below:
- Fluent in English
- The program is awarded to both national and international students.
- While applying, International students will indicate that they are from overseas for tuition fees purposes.
- Applicants mustn’t have received another scholarship program
- No age limits; as long as you meet up with other criteria, you are good to go
- Applicants must have an outstanding academic performance
Click HERE to Apply to the Bristol University Think Big Scholarship
International students wanting to study in the UK for their higher education will be happy to know about the variety of available scholarships and financial aid. There are different scholarship programs available, ranging from those offered by private organizations to government-sponsored programs.
With so many options, it’s important to know what your options are so you can make the best choice for your circumstances. If you’re an international student looking to study in the UK, we have made a list of the top 5 scholarship programs for international students in the UK. All you need to do now is select the one you meet with its eligibility criteria and apply.