Are you a resident of the United States of America? Are you a student at the University of Maryland Eastern School (UMES) or do you plan to enrol at this university?
Are you pursuing a career in food and agricultural sciences or do you desire to do so at this university? Are you in need of financial assistance?
The UMES Land-Grant Scholarship program has got you covered.
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EASTERN SHORE LAND-GRANT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
The UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EASTERN SHORE LAND-GRANT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM is funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA).
This scholarship program was established and made in 2020 and since then, a rough estimate of two million dollars ($2,000,000) has been utilized to cover the academic expenses of one hundred and ten University of Maryland Eastern Shore students.
This scholarship is need-based and is awarded annually to undergraduates and high school students who are in the University of Maryland Eastern Shore School of Natural and Agricultural Sciences (UMES SANS) and who desire to attend this institution, respectively.
This scholarship program provides opportunities for students to be recruited, retained and aided in their educational lives to attain success.
This scholarship was created to support outstanding students who desire a career in certain fields of agriculture and food sciences.
The following fields are supported by this scholarship: Agriculture, Natural resources and Human Ecology.
These fields have distinct sub-fields, which are:
Agriculture: The sub-fields under this field are- Agricultural Education, Agribusiness Management, Animal and Poultry Science, Plant and Soil Science, Preveterinary Medicine and General Agriculture.
Natural Resources: The only sub-field of this field of study supported by the university is Environmental Science.
Human Ecology: There are various supported sub-fields under this category and they are: Child Development, Family and Consumer Sciences, Dietetics or Nutrition, Family and Consumer Sciences Education and finally, Fashion Merchandising.
These scholarships must be used at the university. The University of Maryland Eastern Shore Land-Grant Scholarship is awarded annually and is renewable each academic year for the scholarship term.
Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,00) are awarded to students in the state per year and twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) are awarded to those out of state.
This process of awarding students is, however, based on the level of financial need of the student(s).
The renewal of this scholarship is done once the maintenance of a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.8 has been attained and students have therefore progressed academically towards the attainment of a bachelor’s degree.
The application for this scholarship is usually done online as students who are interested in the scholarship are expected to submit their resumes, transcripts, letters of recommendation and essays.
The application is to be done and completed online while the submission of documents is to be done via email.
SUMMARY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EASTERN SHORE LAND-GRANT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
The University of Maryland Eastern Shore Land-Grant Scholarship Program is in alliance with the School of Agricultural and Natural Sciences.
The UMES Land-Grant Scholarship Program is for students of UMES and high school students who desire to obtain a Bachelor’s Degree in UMES, and who are planning on pursuing a career in food and agricultural sciences.
This scholarship as already said earlier provides outstanding students who are citizens of the United States of America the opportunity to be recruited, retained and supported in their education process, so that the attainment of success can be made possible
This scholarship offers in-state students funds of fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000) and out-of-students funds of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000).
The scholarship is need-based as it is awarded to students based on their diverse financial needs.
Selected students are awarded funds ranging from fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000) to twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) geared towards providing a better educational experience for these students as well as aiding them in the myriad and seemingly unending expenses of college.
ELIGIBILITY AND REQUIREMENTS
The following are the criteria to be met by high school students who are interested in the UMES Land-Grant Scholarship Program:
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States of America.
- They must have applied to UMES and are awaiting admission.
- Applicants must be enrolled in UMES at most, a year after they have been accepted as students into the University of Maryland Eastern Shore.
- Applicants must be accepted into the University to major in any of the following areas; General Agriculture, Environmental Science and Human Ecology or Agribusiness.
- Applicants for the UMES Land-Grant Scholarship program Must have a GED (General Educational Development) Certificate or a high school diploma with a CGPA of at least 2.8 on a scale of 4.0.
- Applicants as already mentioned above must desire to pursue a career in food and agricultural sciences.
- Applicants for this scholarship must be enrolled full-time in a minimum of fifteen course credits which will lead to an undergraduate degree in any of the already mentioned four majors.
For college applicants and transfer students who desire this scholarship, they must:
- Be citizens of the United States of America.
- They must have either applied to study at UMES or have been given admission to study at the University.
- Be accepted to major in one of the following four majors – Human Ecology, Environmental Science, General agriculture or Agribusiness Management.
- Have accumulated a CGPA of 2.8 on a scale of 4.0.
- Finally, they must be enrolled full-time in 15 course credits at least which will lead to an undergraduate degree in the majors listed already.
- Existing students in the institution who desire this scholarship must be citizens of the United States, must currently major in the listed majors, they must desire to pursue a career in agribusiness, energy and renewable fields, financial management and food and agricultural sciences. Also, instead of the usual 15 course credits, these students must be enrolled full-time in a minimum of 25 course credits.
As already mentioned earlier, the application for this scholarship is done online. Interested eligible students can apply at www.umes.edu
However, submission of documents such as essays, letters of recommendation, and transcripts is to be emailed to email@example.com
The Fall deadline is August 21, while that of Spring is February 5.
For more information, do visit their official website https://wwwcp.umes.edu.com
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What do you need for the UMES Scholarship?
Students who desire this scholarship must have a CGPA of 2.8 on a scale of 4.0 and must desire a career in Food and Agricultural Sciences. They must be enrolled full-time for an undergraduate degree in any of the following; Human Ecology, Environmental Sciences Agribusiness Management and General Agriculture. To do this though, they must be enrolled full-time in a minimum of fifteen course credits which will lead to an undergraduate study on any of the already mentioned majors.
How do I apply for the UMES Land-grant Scholarship Program?
Application for this scholarship can be done and completed at www.umes.edu
When is the deadline for the UMES Land-Grant Scholarship Program?
The deadline for the Fall of the year for this scholarship is August 21, while that of Spring is February 5 the following year.
The UMES Land-Grant Scholarship Program is an amazing opportunity any student interested in Agriculture and Food Science should not miss.
The scholarship, although created in 2020 has impacted greatly the lives of many. You can be next if you apply today. Interested students are advised to apply early.